Tree Work

Last year’s October storm caused quite a bit of damage to many of our trees and showed that the tree in the front of the house really has to go.  We hired a local tree guy to do the work and our yard is much improved.  The front yard now gets plenty of sun to become a garden area and I am no less worried about large limbs falling on me while I cut the grass. A bonus will be fewer leaves to rake!

The stump is just visible out at the sidewalk. This is the planned garden area.

At the start of storm, Jama made a video from the front door.  The tree that was cut down is visible on the right.  In the video you can see that the leaves are still mostly on the trees, which is the cause of most of the problems from the storm.  The photo on our 2011 Christmas card was taken once everything was covered, but the storm didn’t stop until we had 2 feet of snow.  We did not have power for 6 days.  The video is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o92pTIYyUqw

Electric Work Complete

We are done!  Well, there are a few clean up tasks, but the electrical work is done.  The new meter is hooked up and the old lines are disconnected from the street.  Every junction box is closed and the cover is on the breaker panel.  We celebrated by turning on all of the lights.

On the left is the old 100 amp meter box that we have to take down. On the right is the 200 amp meter box with the new meter installed.

We Have a Shed

We are transforming the basement into living space, so we decided get a shed so that we don’t lose out on the storage space.  We picked one that fits our space and matches our space.  The delivery was quite amazing, the delivery guy can do it by himself with a specialized trailer.  We have started modifications to make the space as useful as possible.  We have hung our extension ladder on the back and built selves to store boxes on one side.  As the rest of the shed is filled, our number one goal to to stack things so that we can find them and get to them.

Yes, it does match the house.

Improved Windows

Our windows used to let the breeze and bugs right in.  They flaked paint and most were painted shut.  We picked a contractor based on the recommendation of one of my co-workers and over three days we got all new windows.    We are very excited that we can now open our windows at will and we are impressed with all of the new features.  Charlie was not happy with being stuck in the bathroom, but likes the new open window policy.