The warm weather this weekend got the sap flowing and our first try at maple sugaring. We have four taps in two trees and in the first day gathered about three gallons sap. Daytime freezing temperatures return this week, so we aren’t concerned about having more sap than space just yet. But we did decide to boil down the three gallons to two quarts of “proto syrup” that will be easier to store. The two quarts will become about one cup of syrup.
February 26 update
We finished the syrup this evening. The syrup ended up pretty thin, but it was a good sweetness and had a good maple flavor so decided it was ready. We got about a pint out the 3 gallons of sap. Fresh syrup required a pancake dinner to celebrate. No pictures, we ate them too fast.